At its June 2010 conference the Millstein Center for Corporate Governance and Performance at the Yale School of Management announced the recipients of its third annual Rising Stars of Corporate Governance Award. This award recognizes global corporate governance professionals under the age of 40 who are making their mark as outstanding analysts, experts, activists, or managers. "We are entering into a new era of corporate governance and this year's honorees are among the next generation of leaders who will help define it," says Ira M. Millstein, senior associate dean for corporate governance at the school. The 2010 rising stars are: Rising Stars: Ira Millstein (center) pictured with several of the 2010 class of 'next generation leaders'--(left to right) Doug Chia, Alexander Ikonnikov, Rick Hansen, and Santiago Charier.
* Santiago Chaher, founder and managing director of Cefeidas Group International Advisory Firm, a consultancy in Argentina offering counsel in corporate governance and sustainability, corporate public affairs, and strategic partnerships.
* Douglas K. Chia, assistant general counsel and corporate secretary, Johnson & Johnson, where he focuses on corporate governance, securities regulation, public company disclosure and Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance. He is chairman of the membership committee of the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals. He also has a strong presence in social media with his Twitter account where he comments on corporate governance and other leadership issues (see below).
* Rick E. Hansen, counsel for securities and corporate governance at Chevron Corp. He has advised companies such as Amazon.com, Coinstar, Boeing, and AT&T Wireless on board and board committee support, corporate law and governance, securities law compliance, and corporation finance. He has taught corporate governance at Golden Gate University School of Law and corporate finance at Seattle University School of Law.
* Dr. Hans-Christoph Hirt, director-equity ownership services of Hermes Investment Management Ltd. In his role he is global head of corporate engagement for the giant London-based fund management firm, and it is said by colleagues that "[In governance] there is no European more known or more active than Hans."
* Alexander Ikonnikov, chairman of the supervisory board of the Independent Directors Association in Moscow, an organization he co-founded to promote the role, value and contribution...