WEBSITE HELPS CPAs AND CLIENTS PLAN FOR LIFE AND BEYOND
As CPAs, we are often called on to assist our clients in financial planning. Historically, some have misunderstood that term to mean investment management alone, but it actually involves a much broader spectrum of advice including tax, retirement, estate, risk management, and investment planning. Today's incredibly busy, hyper-digitalized world requires that we provide guidance in multiple facets of our clients' lives.
Luckily for us, tools are available. The AICPA PFP Section has developed a technology toolkit (available at tinyurl.com/y3hyfkm3) that is open to all AICPA members. This toolkit explains the categories of software available to CPA financial planners, helping you develop a broad understanding of how to strategically implement software in your firm that benefits your practice and your clients at the same time.
One option for financial planning software is Everplans. The service is a full platform arranged into six basic areas, all accessible from a dashboard. It is checklist-driven and not only provides a useful guide to planning, but also facilitates organization and storage of important documents in the following areas:
* My life: My family, employment, emergency contacts, homes and real estate, vehicles, digital world, and pets.
* Legal: Trusts, will, power of attorney, and attorneys.
* Health and medical: Health insurance, advance directive, doctors, and health information.
* Elder care: Long-term-care insurance, elder care living wishes, and care providers.
* Financial: Life insurance, financial advisers, financial accounts and assets, benefits and pensions, and disability insurance.
* After I'm gone: Burial, cremation, organ donation, letters to family and friends, my life and legacy, and funeral preferences.
The setup process has you complete a quick personal assessment (marital status, children, will, medical directives, etc.). The program provides ample direction and links to external sites for forms specific to your state. It even prompts you to write your own obituary and upload a photo for it. You also can add personal directives, detailing your wishes for keepsakes, etc.
Everplans's design reflects a simple beauty. The site's...