Two decades that shook Latin America.

 
FREE EXCERPT

Latin America is a far different place than it was back in 1992. In historical terms, the region has never been better m almost every way, nor does it offer so many opportunities for the achievement of prosperity.

Information to support this claim abounds. A Latin American newborn child in 1992 had a life expectancy of up to 69 years, now the projected lifespan would be 74. That same newborn infant would have had an 86 percent chance of finishing primary school; now he or she would be almost certain to reach that level. If the child were Brazilian, he or she would only have had a 14 percent chance of owning a computer and 10 percent of having a mobile phone.

Now, computer ownership has reached more than 50 percent, while mobile-phone penetration is practically 100 percent. In 1992, that same child would have had a 21 percent possibility of ending up living on the streets, and a 45 percent likelihood of living in poverty. Today, those figures have dropped to 12 and 30 percent, respectively.

Population in the region has grown by 30 percent...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP