A Toll of Australia 737 jet cargo freighter crashes while attempting to land.


New York (AirGuide - Inside Air Travel) - Mon, Jan 27, 2014

A Toll of Australia 737 jet cargo freighter crashed while attempting to land at the Honiara international airport Sunday morning with no one being injured. The Boeing 737-300F aircraft was on touch down at Henderson when its right main landing gear collapsed. The incident occurred at about 10:30 am on Jan. 26. Toll of Australia is owned by Toll Holdings Limited. It is Australia's largest transport company, based in Melbourne, Victoria. The company has operations in road, rail, sea and air in 55 countries. All flights in and out of Honiara international airport were cancelled as a result. Air Niugini flight from Port Moresby into Honiara bound for Nadi, Fiji was cancelled. While the Solomon Airlines service operated by its A320 airbus from Nadi to Honiara was also affected. Report said the flight had to be diverted to Port Vila, Vanuatu with most passengers and crews being accommodated at a hotel there. Reports by Fairfax NZ News said the Auckland based Airworks Group confirmed the aircraft had lost its right undercarriage during landing. The New Zealand registered aircraft, flying from Brisbane to the Solomons, was in the livery of Toll Group, an Australian based freight company. "Shortly after landing while the aircraft was on rollout the right hand main landing gear collapsed causing the aircraft to slide to a halt on the runway," an Airworks spokesman told Fairfax news yesterday. "None of the three crew on board were injured in the incident. All required authorities have been informed and full investigations are in process. " An eye witness Joseph Abana told the Solomon Star that he was at the eastern end of the airport when the incident occurred. Abana claimed the aircraft was hit by a strong wind to its right side when it was about to land. "When it landed its tyres appears to have collapsed so it slides on its right side till it stops near the domestic terminal. "Its right wing also crashed to the ground and as a result damaged its turbine engine." He said it took some few minutes before the fire service responded and rushed to the scene. "Fortunately the crash did not ignite fire and none of the three crews on board were injured." Mr Abana also called on the aviation fire service to pull up their socks and to be on alert every time. Late yesterday aviation permanent secretary Francis Lomo said that work to remove the aircraft was in progress. He said...

To continue reading