The George Washington Carver Museum.

 
FREE EXCERPT

Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site 1212 West Montgomery Rd. Tuskegee Institute, AL 36088

George Washington Carver

(n.d. Library of Congress, LC J601-302).

Visitor Information

334 727 3200

Park Administration

334 727 6390

George Washington Carver Museum (at the left) was developed with substantial support from admirer and industrialist Henry Ford. Carver wanted the fruits of his life's work on display at the museum. He hoped that the exhibits would inspire children to live better lives. The original museum was housed in a remodeled building and was filled with Carver's geological and mycological (fungus) specimens made over a lifetime. Carver's artwork and crafts were also displayed in the museum. Mounted regional bird specimens and giant vegetables preserved in jars that he used as "show and tell" at farm and county fair demonstrations became part of the museum.

Carver first served as Director of the Agricultural Department where he developed agricultural extension services for Black farmers and homemakers. Milbank Hall was the site of his agricultural experiments. His last laboratory was housed in the Carver Museum. Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University) donated the home of Booker T. Washington and the Carver Museum to the National Park Service in 1977, and much of the Carver collection in 1979.

Products that were developed by George Washington Carver and made available commercially.

Commercially developed sweet potato products as a result of Carver's work, he developed dozens of products from local crops, in particular the highly nutritious peanut and sweet potato. He believed these two crops could provide a balanced diet. Byproducts include foods and beverages, and paints and dyes. Carver also developed livestock foods, cosmetics, and medicinal preparations.

Sweet potato (H 35.6, D 17.5 cm, Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, TUIN 95), Beans (H 45, D 15 cm, Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, TUIN 1520, and Onions (H 35.6, D 17.5 cm, Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, TUIN 172).

George Washington Carver's laboratory set up of equipment he used to do his experiments which includes a: distilling apparatus, crucible holder, microscope, crucibles, reagent bottles, ring stand, steam heater, burner, peanut apothecary, grain scale, mortar and pestle, and a centrifuge.

Chemistry laboratory at Tuskegee Institute.

Laboratory at Tuskegee Institute.

Paint sample that...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP