The Utah State Bar Board of Commissioners received the following reports and took the actions indicated during the July 26, 2017 Commission Meeting held at the Summer Convention in Sun Valley, Idaho.
1. The Bar Commission voted to appoint Samuel Alba as the Bar's representative on the Executive and Judicial Compensation Committee.
2. The Bar Commission voted to approve the report on the progress of implementing the Futures Commission recommendations.
3. The Bar Commission voted to reappoint Bryan Pattison to the Utah Legal Services Board.
4. The Bar Commission voted to approve the Convention Review Committee Report.
5. The Bar Commission voted to approve convention reimbursement policies.
6. The Bar Commission voted to approve the August 2017 candidates for admission to the Utah State Bar.
7. The Bar Commission voted to appoint the following ex officio Commission members for the 2017-2018 year: the Immediate Past Bar President (Rob Rice); the Bar's Representatives to the ABA House of Delegates (Nate Alder and Angelina Tsu); the Bar's YLD Representative to the ABA House of Delegates (Chris Wharton); Utah's ABA Members' Representative to the ABA House of Delegates (Margaret Plane); the Utah Minority Bar Association Representative (Jamie Sorenson); the Women Lawyers of Utah Representative (Diana Hagen); the LGBT and Allied Lawyers of Utah Representative (Amy Fowler); the Paralegal Division Representative (Julie Emery); the J. Reuben Clark Law School Dean (Gordon Smith); the S.J. Quinney College of Law Dean (Robert Adler) ;and the Young Lawyers Division Representative (Dani Cepernich).
8. The Bar Commission voted to appoint John Lund, Dickson Burton, Kate Conyers, and Katie Woods as members of the Executive Committee.
9. The Bar Commission voted to approve members of the Executive Committee to serve as signatories on the Bar's checking account.
10. The Bar Commission approved May 12, 2017 Commission meeting minutes by consent.
11. The Bar Commission approved Online Content and Social Media Policy by consent.
The minute text of this and other meetings of the Bar Commission are available at the office of the Executive Director.
2017 Fall Forum Awards
The Board of Bar Commissioners is seeking nominations for the 2017 Fall Forum Awards. These awards have a long history of honoring publicly those whose professionalism, public service and personal dedication have significantly enhanced the administration of justice, the delivery of legal services, and the building up of the profession. Your award nominations must be submitted in writing to Christy Abad, Executive Secretary, 645 South 200 East, Suite 310, Salt Lake City, UT 84111 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 29, 2017. The award categories include:
Distinguished Community Member Award
Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award
View a list of past award recipients at: http://www.utahbar.org/bar-operations/history-of-utah-state-bar-award-recipients/.
Utah Bar Foundation Announces New Board Members
HONORABLE ROYAL I. HANSEN
Judge Royal I. Hansen is a Third District Court Judge and served as that court’s Presiding Judge from 2011–2015. The Utah State Bar selected Judge Hansen as Judge of the Year in 2012 and as a recipient of the Judicial Excellence Award in 2015. In 2016 he was named the third Utah judge to receive the Peacekeeper Award in recognition of his commitment to the process of peace and conflict resolution. He currently serves as the chair of the Judicial Council’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee and as co-chair of the Utah State Bar Pro Bono Commission. He is the founding judge of the South Valley Felony Drug Court (2005) and the Utah Veterans Treatment Court (2015). Judge Hansen received a law degree from the University of Utah College of Law in 1975.
Ms. Ruedas is a shareholder at the firm of Richards Brandt Miller and Nelson where her practice focuses primarily on immigration law, civil litigation, and criminal defense. Ms. Ruedas is a graduate of the BYU J. Rueben Clark School of Law.
The Utah Bar Foundation Board of Directors consists of:
Leonor Perretta, President – Perretta Law Office Richard Mrazik, Vice President – Parsons Behle & Latimer Peggy Hunt, Secretary/Treasurer – Dorsey & Whitney Adam Caldwell – Bingham Snow & Caldwell Judge Royal I. Hansen – Third District Court Lori Nelson – University of Utah SJ Quinney College of Law Kristina Ruedas – Richards Brandt Miller & Nelson Kim Paulding, Executive Director
The Utah Bar Foundation is honored to have the expertise of such a distinguished Board of Directors as they navigate the complex funding decisions ahead.
BURBIDGE MITCHELLTHE FIRM IS PROUD TO CONGRATULATE ITS LEAD TRIAL LAWYER, RICHARD D. BURBIDGE, ON THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF HIS TERM AS PRESIDENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY OF TRIAL LAWYERS AND BEING NAMED AGAIN TO THE TOP 10 SUPER LAWYERS IN THE INTERMOUNTAIN WEST (RATED NO. 2).
BURBIDGE MITCHELL PROUDLY CONTINUES ITS TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE IN PROVIDING TRIAL SERVICES, CONCENTRATING IN CATASTROPHIC PERSONAL INJURY AND COMPLEX BUSINESS LITIGATION.
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VALUED FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT.
Pro Bono Honor Roll
Community Legal Clinic: Ogden
Community Legal Clinic: Salt Lake City
Community Legal Clinic: Sugarhouse
Debt Collection Pro Se Calendar
James C. Bergstedt
Ted E. Cundick
T. Richard Davis
R. Jesse Davis
Debtor’s Legal Clinic
Family Law Case
Family Law Clinic
Linda F. Smith
Grandparent Visitation Case
Guardianship Signature Program
Dara Rosen Cohen
Lawyer of the Day
Jared L. Anderson
Laina B. Arras
Brent Richard Chipman
J. Scott Cottingham
Roland Douglas Holt
Linda Faye Smith
Samuel J. Sorensen
Cristina S. Wood
Kevin R. Worthy
Rainbow Law Clinic
Senior Center Legal Clinics
Phillip S. Ferguson
Michael A. Jensen
Terrell R. Lee
Stanley D. Neeleman