Q: How can a company without enough money to hire an outside PR firm get the media to cover a story?
A: There are several steps:
* Make sure you have a real story; never pitch a non-story.
* Do some research; find the right media outlet and the right reporter or editor.
* Draft a clear, concise, accurate and grammatically correct query letter or news release.
* Distribute the letter or news release by e-mail, fax or regular mail (or transmit the news release by PR Newswire or BusinessWire).
* Follow up with a call. Be clear, concise and brief in your pitch; avoid leaving lengthy voice-mail messages.
* Build relationships with the media over time, and work to...