Between June 2008 and June 2009, the U.S. jail population declined by 2.3 percent, a decline of 17,936 inmates.

Author:Gormsen, Lia
Position:Inter Alia
 
FREE EXCERPT

Between June 2008 and June 2009, the U.S. jail population declined by 2.3 percent, a decline of 17,936 inmates, reported the Bureau of Justice Statistics in Jail Inmates at Midyear 2009. This decline marks the first in the U.S. jail population since BJS implemented its annual survey of jails in 1982. The number of males decreased by 1.7 percent, while the number of female inmates decreased by 6 percent. The percent of capacity occupied for all jails nationwide at midyear 2009 was the lowest since 2001.

In 2009, approximately 62 percent of jail inmates were being held unconvinced, awaiting arraignment, trial or conviction. The remaining 38 percent had been convicted and were awaiting sentencing; had been sentenced and were serving time in jail; or were awaiting transfer to serve time in state or federal prisons. In addition to the 767,620 inmates held in custody of county and city jail...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP