The Office of the Secretary of Defense Logistics staff formulates and recommends defense policy and oversees the execution of approved policy. DOD logistics includes all efforts to deploy, support, maintain, and sustain DOD personnel, equipment, and weapons systems in fully mission capable condition whenever and wherever required. The logistics budget consisted of $194 billion in fiscal year 2009--about 30 percent of the DOD budget, excluding supplemental appropriations. The DOD logistics goals are to:
* Ensure effective Logistics support for current operations
* Ensure effective management of "contractors on the battlefield"
* Integrate Life Cycle Management principles into DOD and Service acquisition and sustainment processes
* Integrate supply chain operations that effectively support warfighters and are efficient from source of supply to point of consumption
Two key elements of the DOD logistics enterprise--Transportation Policy and Supply Chain Integration--are highlighted herein.
TRANSPORTATION POLICY (TP) Lisa Roberts
Acting-Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Transportation Policy)
T 703-601-4478 * DSN 329
COL Jerry Thomas, USA
Assistant for Deployment and Distribution
T 703-601-4461, x107 * DSN 329
Lt Col Mike Holmes, USAF
Assistant for Air Transportation T703-601-4461,x109 * DSN 329
Assistant for Sealift and Mobility
T 703-601-4461, x102 * DSN 329
Assistant for Logistics Management
T 703-601-4461, x148 * DSN 329
COL Timothy McNulty, USA (Ret.)
Assistant for Surface Transportation
T 703-601 -4461, x103 * DSN 329
The Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Transportation Policy (ADUSD [TP]) serves as principal advisor for establishing policies and providing guidance to Department of Defense (DOD) Components for effective and efficient use of government and commercial transportation resources. Transportation Policy is also responsible for distribution (including force movement) policies. Key functions of the ADUSD (TP) are to:
* Develop transportation, distribution, and force movement policies and provide analysis, advice, and recommendations to ensure cost-effective joint logistics support to the warfighter
* Coordinate and negotiate with federal departments and inter-agencies regarding...