CITATION ANALYSIS OF PH.D. THESES SUBMITTED TO PANJAB UNIVERSITY, CHANDIGARH (INDIA) DURING 2002-2012.

Author:Kumar, Anil
 
FREE EXCERPT

As per Handbook of Information (2015), the Department of Economics was established in 1951 and has the honour of producing many well-known economists like Dr. Manmohan Singh (Prime Minister of India), Late Dr. G.K. Chadha (former member Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council and former Vice-Chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru University) and Dr. B S Minhas. Currently, the department offers five Years integrated programme in Economics (B.A. Hons.), M.A. and M.Phil courses as well as opportunities for doctoral research. The department has a total of seven full time faculty members. 90 research scholars have already been awarded the doctoral degree since the inception of the department and 80 research scholars are currently pursuing their research work for the award of doctoral degree. Thrust areas of research include Agricultural Economics, International Economics, Money and Banking, etc.

Review of Literature

Sasikala and Raju (2008) in their paper entitled 'Information use pattern in Economics' analyzed 24,699 citations from 192 doctoral theses awarded by Andhra University during 1950-2002. The findings of their study revealed that majority of the citations were from books (38%), followed by journals (35%). The subject distribution of doctoral theses revealed that more than half of the theses submitted were on 'Industrial Economics', followed by 'Labor Economics'. Their study also found that works of single authorship were predominant and half-life of literature in Economics was found to be 14 1/2 years. Burman and Sheela (2011) in their paper entitled 'Citation analysis of dissertations of Law submitted to University of Delhi' analyzed 3,052 citations from 33 LL.M (Master of Law) dissertations and found that 25.52% citations were from journal articles, followed by 22.21% citations from books. They observed that single authorship was more predominant (79.84%) in comparison to multiple authors. Majority of the cited journals were published from USA (41%), followed by India (37.41%) and UK (12.23%). 69.78% periodicals cited were from the field of Law, followed by Science and Technology (10.79%), Social Sciences (9.35%), Economics (7.9%) and Education (2.15%). 31.45% papers were cited within five years of their publication and half-life of periodicals in the field of Law was found to be 11 years. Trayambakrao and Sonwane (2012) in their paper entitled 'Citation analysis of Ph.D. theses on Economics submitted to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University' analysed that most cited documents were books (57.86%) and remaining 42.14% citations were from reports, journals, government publications, theses and others. The chronological distribution of citations shows that maximum number of citations (33.97%) was to publications published during 1999-2008. The authorship pattern of citations indicates that the single author citations were more in number (72.81%) than others. The language wise distribution of citations show that 1505 documents (52.33%) cited were in English language. The geographical distribution shows that Indian literature was mostly cited by the researchers (68.57%). The ranking of web citations show that only 26 citations (0.90%) were web citations and remaining 2850 citations (99.10%) were print citations. Hence, their study revealed that the printed resources were mostly preferred by the researchers than the web-citations.

Statement of the Problem

Citation analyses helps in formulating the need-based collection building policy and also help to provide authentic data to inform the librarians, information Manager, Information Officers, Documentation officer to make thoughtful decisions in the documents' selection. It helps the Librarians in evaluating the existing library collection and help to take decision which collection, specially the journals, is to be kept or discarded from the library and eventually helps in making decisions for the collection development policy. In view of the above, the present study was designed to investigate the citation analysis of Doctoral dissertation submitted in the field of Economics, at Panjab University, Chandigarh in order to find out the ranking of the cited journals, half life of journals and books, authorship pattern, their geographical and chronological distribution, etc. It will help the librarians to budget their resources depending on the usage of their collection.

Objectives of the study:

The objectives of the present study included:

  1. To observe the nature of authorship pattern in the field of Economics.

  2. To examine the half-life of books and journals in the discipline of Economics.

  3. To observe the chronological distribution of citations in Economics discipline.

  4. To determine the national and international coverage of citations in Economics discipline.

  5. To study the distribution of citations of different information sources and their formats.

  6. To determine the ranking of most cited journals in Doctoral theses in the field of Economics.

  7. To assess the availability of the highly cited journals in Panjab University, Chandigarh.

    Research questions

    The present study sought answers to the following questions:

  8. What is the trend of authorship pattern in the Economics disciplines?

  9. What is the half-life of literature used in the discipline of Economics?

  10. What is the average age of cited material in the Ph.D. theses submitted in Economics at Panjab University?

  11. Which are the top cited journals in the field of Economics at Panjab University?

  12. Which type of reading material is preferred by the Economics researchers at Panjab University?

  13. What are the most cited items in the Doctoral theses submitted in the field of Economics at Panjab University?

  14. What is the average number of citations per thesis submitted in Economics at Panjab University?

    Research Methodology

    As per the objectives of the study, various research methods were explored. For this research paper, data was collected from 32 Ph.D. theses submitted during 2002-2012 in the department of Economics at Panjab University (Chandigarh). Firstly, researcher selected the theses (i.e., the source document) from which the data was collected. Citation/Bibliography of each thesis was recorded in MS-Excel and used wherever appropriate to analyse the data. The collected data was based on the objectives of ranked list of journals, authorship pattern of books and journals, chronological pattern of cited sources, geographical pattern of cited sources, etc.

    Data Analysis Techniques

    The data was analysed by using the appropriate methods and bibliometric laws. The simple counting citation methods and Bradford's Law was applied to find out the core journals in the field of Economics.

    Data Analysis and Interpretations

    As shown in table 4.1, a total of 32 Ph.D. theses were submitted in the Department of Economics during 2002-2012, in which 6229 sources were cited by the researchers. The following section analyses the citations of such theses on the basis of various dimensions like year of submission, form of cited documents, authorship pattern, etc.

    Year-wise submission of Ph.D. theses

    Table 1 shows the year wise submission of Ph.D. theses in the Department of Economics at Panjab University (Chandigarh) during 2002-2012.

    Table 1 indicates that the highest number of theses were submitted in 2007 (6, 18.75%)...

To continue reading

FREE SIGN UP