Speaker--Daniel D. Ujczo
MR. UJCZO: I invite Chi Carmody, our Canadian Director, (1) to present our inaugural award on behalf of the Canada-United States Law Institute to Commissioner Olson representing the International Joint Commission. (2)
MR. CARMODY: Commissioner Olson, we are proud to have the opportunity to present this plaque. The Canada-United States Law Institute at Case Western Reserve University School of Law (3) and The University of Western Ontario Faculty of Law (4) presents its inaugural award to the International Joint Commission (IJC) on the occasion of the Canada-United States Law Institute's twenty-fifth Annual Conference, and the centennial of the Boundary Waters Treaty of 1909. (5)
The Canada-United States Law Institute celebrates the IJC's one hundredth year of preventing and resolving disputes between Canada and the United States, as well as, its pursuit of the countries' common good by serving as an independent and objective adviser to the two governments. (6) The Canada-United States Law Institute heralds the Boundary Waters Treaty and the IJC as the leading examples of cooperation in the world community's most important bilateral relationship, this the 4th day of April, 2009. Congratulations.
(1) See Canada-United States Law Institute: Founding Institutions & National Directors, http://cusli.org/about/founding_institutions.html (last visited Nov. 1, 2009).
(2) See International Joint Commission: Commissioners, http://www.ijc.org/en/bacground/ biogr_commiss.htm (last visited Nov. 1, 2009).
(3) See generally Case Western Reserve University School of Law, http://law.case.edu (last visited Oct. 28, 2009).
(4) See generally The University of Western Ontario Faculty of Law, http://www.law.uwo.ca (last visited Oct. 28, 2009).
(5) See Canada-United States Law Institute, An Example of Cooperation and Common Cause, Enhancing Canada-U.S. Security though the Great Lakes and North American Trade, available at http://cnsli.org/conferences/annual/annual_2009/documentation/2009_CUSLI_ Conference_Program.pdf; see Treaty Between the United States and Great Britain Relating to Boundary Waters, and Questions Arising Between the United States and Canada, U.S.-Gr. Brit., Jan. 11, 1909, 36 Stat. 2448 [hereinafter Boundary Waters Treaty]; see also International Joint Commission: Treaties and Agreements, http://www.ijc.org/rel/agree/water.html#text (last visited Nov. 1...