What's it take to get to Canada these days? Changing laws need not make it difficult to do business across the border.


The "Know Before You Go" is just one of several campaigns by U.S. Customs ft Border Patrol (CBP) to educate travelers that U.S. land border crossing requirements have changed. On June 1, 2009 - the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) went into effect, requiring U.S. citizens returning home by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda to present one of several approved documents which denote proof of identity and citizenship. (WHTI went into effect for air travelers on January 23, 2007.)


Approved documents that can be used to gain entry into the U.S. include the following:

* U.S. Passport - An internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person's identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

* U.S. Passport Card - A new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.


* Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) - Several states and Canadian provinces, including Michigan, have issued this form of enhanced driver's license to denote identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

* Trusted Traveler Program Cards - NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can also be used in airports equipped with a NEXUS kiosk.

* Special Groups - U.S and Canadian children under age 16 arriving into the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean need only present proof of citizenship such as an original or copy of their birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card.


To continue reading