New England Jury Verdict Review & Analysis
- Jury Verdict Review Publications, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Nbr. 37-10, May 2022
- Nbr. 37-09, April 2022
- Nbr. 37-08, March 2022
- Nbr. 37-07, February 2022
- Nbr. 37-06, January 2022
- Nbr. 37-05, December 2021
- Nbr. 37-04, November 2021
- Nbr. 37-03, October 2021
- Nbr. 37-02, September 2021
- Nbr. 37-01, August 2021
- Nbr. 36-12, July 2021
- Nbr. 36-11, June 2021
- Nbr. 36-10, May 2021
- Nbr. 36-09, April 2021
- Nbr. 36-08, March 2021
- Nbr. 36-07, February 2021
- Nbr. 36-06, January 2021
- Nbr. 36-05, December 2020
- Nbr. 36-04, November 2020
- Nbr. 36-03, October 2020
- $______ RECOVERY - TOXIC TORT - ENVIRONMENTAL LAW - MTBE LEAKED FROM UNDERGROUND STORAGE CONTAINERS AT GAS STATIONS, RESULTING IN DECADES OF SOIL AND GROUNDWATER CONTAMINATION.
District County, RI In this action, the Rhode Island Attorney General sued several of the nation’s largest gasoline refinery companies over alleged pollution of soil and groundwater with a gasoline additive. The defendants denied the accusation. The state has resolved claims against 3 such parties with a settlement.
- $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - ORGAN DONATION COORDINATION NEGLIGENCE - DEATH AS RESULT OF DEFENDANTS' NEGLIGENCE IN DISCLOSING DONOR ORGAN INFECTED WITH PARASITE - WRONGFUL DEATH OF 73-YEAR-OLD DONOR RECIPIENT.
Withheld County, MA In this medical malpractice matter, the plaintiff alleged that the defendant organ donor coordinator and company were negligent in failing to notify the decedent and his medical team that the lung that had been supplied for transplant was from an individual who was later determined to be positive for a parasitic infection. The failure to warn resulted in the decedent’s untimely death. The defendant denied the allegations and maintained that it was not negligent.
- $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - NURSING NEGLIGENCE - FAILURE TO TREAT DETERIORATING RESPIRATORY CONDITION - FAILURE TO CLEAR MUCOUS BUILDUP IN AIRWAY - WRONGFUL DEATH OF 57-YEAROLD FOLLOWING JAW SURGERY.
Withheld County, MA In this medical malpractice matter, the plaintiff alleged that the defendant nurse was responsible for the wrongful death of the plaintiff’s decedent who suffered respiratory blockage due to large mucous buildup which resulted in brain damage. The decedent was taken off life support and died shortly after this incident. The defendant nurse denied the allegations and disputed that there was any deviation from acceptable standards of care.
- $______ PLAINTIFF'S VERDICT - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - SURGERY NEGLIGENCE - FAILURE TO TIMELY DIAGNOSE AND TREAT INTRA-ABDOMINAL BLEEDING AND RETROPERITONEAL BLEEDING - WRONGFUL DEATH OF 51-YEAR-OLD MALE.
New Haven County, CT In this medical malpractice matter, the plaintiff alleged that the defendants failed to timely diagnose and treat the decedent’s abdominal bleed which resulted in his death. The defendants denied the allegations and disputed that there was any deviation from acceptable standards of care in their treatment of the decedent. The defendants also disputed the plaintiff’s claim of damages.
- $______ RECOVERY - CONSUMER FRAUD - AUTOMOBILE FINANCING COMPANY FAULTED IN HANDLING OF GAP CONTRACTS - UNPAID PREMIUM REFUNDS OWED TO CONSUMERS.
Suffolk County, MA In this matter, the office of the Massachusetts Attorney General accused an automobile financing company of violating Massachusetts state consumer protection laws. The accusations were resolved with an assurance of discontinuance, including a monetary settlement.
- ASBESTOS. $______ RECOVERY
Asbestos - Environmental law - Renovation company accused of improperly handling asbestos cleanup - Alleged violation of Massachusetts Clean Air Act. Suffolk County, MA In this matter, the Massachusetts AG accused a renovation company of having improperly handled and disposed of asbestos from an elementary school. The matter was resolved with a settlement.
- EMPLOYER'S LIABILITY. $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY
Employer’s liability - Worker’s compensation - Driver slipped and fell at work - Torn rotator cuff requiring multiple surgeries. Withheld County, MA In this matter, the plaintiff employee alleged that the defendant employer was responsible under a theory of worker’s compensation for injuries sustained when the employee was injured in the course and scope of his employment. The defendant employer disputed the nature and extent of the employee’s injuries and disability.
- FRAUD. $______ RECOVERY
Medicaid fraud - Medical response company accused of billing for treatment provided by fire department - Defendant billed State Medicaid program for "Advanced Life Support" services while providing only "Basic Life Support" services. Hartford County, CT In this action, the Connecticut Attorney General accused a medical response company of improper billing to Medicaid. The matter was resolved with a settlement.
- MOTOR VEHICLE NEGLIGENCE. Head-on Collision. $______ GROSS VERDICT
Motor vehicle negligence - Head-on collision - Plaintiff’s vehicle struck by defendant’s vehicle which swerved into plaintiff’s lane of travel - Cervical injuries - Headaches - Shoulder injuries - Conservative care with chiropractic treatments. Suffolk County, MA In this motor vehicle negligence matter, the plaintiff driver alleged that the defendant driver was negligent in causing a collision between the vehicles. As a result of the collision, the plaintiff suffered injuries to her head, neck and shoulders. The defendant driver denied the allegations and disputed the plaintiff’s claim of injuries and damages.
- MOTOR VEHICLE NEGLIGENCE. Intersection Collision. $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY
Motor vehicle negligence - Intersection collision - Left turn collision - Plaintiff’s vehicle with right-ofway struck by defendant’s vehicle as it made left turn - Multiple fractures requiring surgery - Permanent impairment. Middlesex County, MA In this motor vehicle negligence matter, the plaintiff driver alleged that the defendant driver was negligent in causing a collision at the intersection when the defendant driver made a left turn into the plaintiff’s vehicle. The plaintiff suffered multiple fractures that required surgical intervention as well as other injuries as a result of the incident. The defendant disputed the nature and extent of the plaintiff’s injuries and damages as well as liability.
- MUNICIPAL LIABILITY. DEFENDANT'S VERDICT
Municipal Liability - Plaintiffs allege that defendant’s storm drains caused water runoff and damage due to failure to maintain and repair drains - Diminution in value to property. Rockingham County, NH In this case, the plaintiff homeowners alleged that they suffered damages, including diminution...
- $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - HOSPITAL NEGLIGENCE - FAILURE TO FOLLOW HOSPITAL'S OWN POLICIES ON HIGH RISK PREGNANCIES - FIRST TIME MOTHER DIES SHORTLY AFTER GIVING BIRTH - WRONGFUL DEATH OF 34- YEAR-OLD.
Withheld County, MA. In this medical malpractice matter, the plaintiff contended that the decedent mother died as a result of the defendant hospital’s negligence in failing to transfer the decedent to another facility when it was deemed that she was a high-risk induction. The defendant denied any...
- MEDICAL MALPRACTICE. $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - CARDIOLOGY NEGLIGENCE - NEGLIGENT INJECTION OF AIR INTO CATHETER DURING ANGIOPLASTY PROCEDURE - WRONGFUL DEATH OF 72-YEAR-OLD PATIENT.
Withheld County, MA In this medical malpractice action, the plaintiff alleged that the defendants, a cardiology fellow and the supervising cardiologist, negligently performed an angioplasty procedure, resulting in air being injected into the 72-year-old decedent patient’s arteries and causing his...
- MOTOR VEHICLE NEGLIGENCE. Rear End Collision. $______ VERDICT
Motor vehicle negligence - Rear end collision - Hip injury - Back injury requiring epidural injections. Middlesex County, MA. In this motor vehicle negligence matter, the plaintiff driver alleged that the defendant driver was negligent in striking the rear of the plaintiff’s vehicle while it was...
- PRODUCT LIABILITY. $______ VERDICT - PRODUCT LIABILITY - DEFECTIVE POLICE HANDGUN HOLSTER- ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE OF WEAPON - BULLET WOUND TO RIGHT LEG -PARONEAL NERVE INJURY - NERVE GRAFT PERFORMED - COMPENSATION INJURYTO LEFT HIP.
Philadelphia County, PAThe male plaintiff in this product liability actionwas a Pennsylvania State Trooper who claimedthat he suffered a permanent injury when hisholstered Glock-37 duty pistol unexpectedlydischarged. The plaintiff claimed that theunexpected discharge of the weapon occurred asa...
- $______ VERDICT - PERSONAL NEGLIGENCE - SEXUAL ABUSE OF MINOR - PLAINTIFF BOY SCOUT CLAIMS SEXUAL ABUSE BY OLDER SCOUT - VIOLATION OF CONNECTICUT'S UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICES ACT
Waterbury County, CT In this matter, the plaintiff former boy scout alleged that he was sexually abused on several occasions by an older scout. The plaintiff alleged that the defendant organization was aware of a problem and history of sexual abuse dating back to the 1920s, and failed to take any...
- PRODUCTS LIABILITY. $______ RECOVERY - PRODUCT LIABILITY - DEFECTIVE DESIGN OF INFANT CARRIER SLING - DEATH OF NEWBORN FROM POSITIONAL ASPHYXIA - PORTEE CLAIM.
Morris County, NJ In this product liability action, the plaintiff contended that the design of the defendant’s product, a baby sling that is used by mothers to carry infants, was defectively designed due to a risk of positional suffocation. The plaintiff further contended that despite numerous...
- MEDICAL MALPRACTICE. Hospital Negligence. $______ CONFIDENTIAL RECOVERY
Hospital Negligence - Failure to properly monitor patients - Minor plaintiff is coerced into having sexual relations with fellow patients - Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Withheld County, MA In this negligence matter, the minor plaintiff alleged that the defendant hospital was negligent in...
- CONTRACT. $______ RECOVERY
Contract - Assignment of claim - Plaintiff sought balance of monies due for repair of property damage. Hartford County, CT In this matter, the plaintiff auto body facility brought suit seeking the balance of monies due from the defendant for damages to a vehicle involved in a collision with the...
- MEDICAL MALPRACTICE. $______ RECOVERY - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE - HOSPITAL NEGLIGENCE - DEFENDANT STAFF NEGLIGENTLY ADMINISTERS INSULIN OR SULFONYLUREA TO NON-DIABETIC PATIENT CAUSING SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA RESULTING IN SEIZURES - PROFOUND BRAIN INJURY REQUIRING FEEDING TUBE AND TRACHEOSTOMY - IMPAIRMENT OF MOBILITY - COGNITIVE DISABILITIES - NEED FOR LIFE-LONG ASSISTANCE WITH ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIFE.
Harris County, TX. The plaintiffs in this medical malpractice action were the wife and child of the incapacitated male patient. The patient had been undergoing treatment for alcohol withdrawal and was transferred to the defendant hospital for further rehabilitation. While at the defendant hospital, ...