Vol. 16 Nbr. 8, August 2008
> SIGN UP FREE
- Chain of command: nurse blamed for neuro patient's death after Brainstem Herniation.
- Acute asthma attack: nurse's error led to brain damage.
- Feeding tube: nurses' errors led to respiratory arrest, death.
- Harassment: conduct must be reported.
- Patient vs. patient assault: caregivers not liable.
- Patient vs. patient assault: staff knew of violent history.
- Psych patient jumps from hospital window: psychiatrist, psych nurse ruled not negligent.
- Elopements: court faults facility's actions, civil monetary penalty upheld.
- Pulmonary embolism, death: nurse's post-op monitoring, charting faulted in lawsuit.
- Elopement: jury awards damages.
- Elopement: staff ignored door alarm, resident fell, broke hip.
- Labor & delivery: Pitocin was continued, hyperstimulation causes hypoxia, cerebral palsy.
- Disability discrimination: court rules that regular attendance is an essential job function.
- Good Samaritan act: nurse dismissed from lawsuit.
- Discharge orders: mix-up leads to overdose.
- Freedom of speech: nurse's internal memos are not protected.
- Nursing license on probation: nurse has no grounds to sue.
- Nursing license suspended: no lawsuit until administrative avenues are exhausted.
- Operating room: positioning error.
- Patient falls: high seats on commodes no substitute for hands-on assistance, jury says.
- Patient falls: nurse faulted for giving PRN sleep aid.
- Versed overdose: lawsuit faults nurse monitoring during CT scan.