Vol. 9 Nbr. 4, November 2006
> SIGN UP FREE
- A different truth.
- ACLU picks our Katrina coverage.
- Desis dating black.
- The adoption stories.
- Chris Abani: the acclaimed Nigerian novelist and poet discusses his new novel on sex trafficking, representations in literature and why fiction might actually matter.
- Bad teeth: she took buses and walked with her mom and finally arrived at the dental clinic. But would the white dentist really keep her from losing her teeth?
- My favorite mysteries.
- Marianna's Beauty Salon: they were two Pakistani girls with long hair venturing into forbidden territory--the Dominican hair salon.
- Bayan ko: she had dreamed of beauty pageants for her children--not political protests, Studio 54 and girls dressing like boys.
- The young adult boom: it's a mixed bag for teens of color.
- A Cherokee-inspired trilogy.
- Queerness, blackness and memory: often compared to James Baldwin, award-winning Jamaican author Thomas Glave writes the unofficial stories.
- The Inheritance of Loss.
- A Long Stay In A Distant Land.
- Across a Hundred Mountains.
- They Tell Me of a Home.
- Belladonna the Virtuous: Off My Chest (New Harlem Productions).
- Juha: Polari (Jaffa Orange Station).
- Mid*One: Fall Out Selections EP (Uber Records).
- Salvimex: Uniendo Fuerzes .... y apoca no?! (Bombastic Records).
- David Ruffin: The Unreleased Album (Motown/UMG).
- Gnarls Barkley: St. Elsewhere (Downtown Music/Atlantic).
- On being discovered: as a writer, I found it carries risks.